First and only time: “Mochizuki, Shioda, Saito, Sugino, Shimizu pool their collective expertise!”
Five unforgettable lecture demonstrations were presented at the 1986 Aiki News Friendship Demonstration in Tokyo by these famous teachers: Minoru Mochizuki, Gozo Shioda, Morihiro Saito, Yoshio Sugino, and Kenji Shimizu. These experts bring you the benefits of their decades of training to provide insights that will stimulate your own practice and deepen your understanding of martial essentials. Here are some highlights…
Below are brief introductions of the participating teachers at the 1986 Friendship Demonstration sponsored by Aiki News:
- Morihiro Saito: 9th dan, and one of aikido’s most respected teachers. Saito Sensei was one of O-Sensei’s closest students and achieved worldwide recognition due to his numerous international seminars and the publication of many authoritative technical books.
- Gozo Shioda: One of O-Sensei’s most skilled students from the prewar era and founder of Yoshinkan Aikido. Shioda Sensei taught an effective, martial-style of aikido that attracted tens of thousands of students over his long teaching career. He is also the author of numerous technical manuals on Yoshinkan Aikido.
- Minoru Mochizuki: A leading student of judo founder Jigoro Kano sent to study with O-Sensei in 1930. Mochizuki Sensei underwent rigorous training in numerous martial styles during his career and created Yoseikan Budo, an eclectic martial art incorporating aikido, judo, karate, swordsmanship, and other arts. He was one of the only students to have learned extensively from both Jigoro Kano and Morihei Ueshiba.
- Yoshio Sugino: A judo and Katori Shinto-ryu master who studied under O-Sensei in the prewar era. Sugino Sensei was one of Japan’s most famous martial artists, and choreographed the fighting scenes in Kurosawa movies such as “The Seven Samurai,” “Yojimbo,” and others.
- Kenji Shimizu: One of the last and most talented students of O-Sensei who came to aikido after a successful judo career. Shimizu Sensei later created Tendokan Aikido, and developed a following of thousands of students throughout Europe.
THIS WEEK’S SPECIAL FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
Aikido Journal is now offering a “Collector’s Edition of videos of the Aikido Friendship Demonstrations,” historic events that took place in 1985, 1986, and 1987 in Tokyo, Japan. A total of 6 videos in DVD or downloadable format — your choice! — are included in the package which includes over 9 hours of rare footage. The following experts and martial arts appear: Saito, Shioda, Mochizuki, Nishio, Kondo, Kobayashi, Saotome, Sunadomari, Kuroiwa, Shimizu, Sugino, Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, Katori Shinto-ryu, Kashima Shinto-ryu, Yagyu Shingan-ryu.
This offer is available for the special price of $49.95 for the set in downloadable format or $89.95 for the 6-DVD set.